Updating my resume will be a hassle!
I don’t have the time to work on it.
I’m not good talking about myself.
I know what you’re thinking – it’s been ages since you had to update your resume. Or maybe you never really had a current version ever. Or maybe you need help beefing up the language and format of your resume. Those are all great reasons to bring in an expert to help you write and update your resume.
My process is straightforward and focused. I listen carefully to you as you talk about the job you want, what you have accomplished in your career, how you helped your employers save or make money and how you have helped improve their processes. Your finished resume will take all this into account. It will be clean, clear and much stronger than it has ever been before.
Here’s a quick overview of what it will take to get you a new resume:
- I review your most recent resume if you have one. Aside from allowing me to verify the basic personal and work information that any resume needs (address, employer names and locations, etc.), this also gives me a feel for the progression of your skills and your roles throughout your career. That knowledge will help us describe your achievements as we move forward with the new resume. At this point, it also helps to know if you are planning on seeking employment in the same field – or thinking of pivoting onto a new careerpath entirely.
This part of the process takes about 1 day.
- We discuss my findings and suggestions while fleshing out the skills and successes we want to emphasize. This can be done in person, on the phone or by email. We can use this time to discuss your current experiences too. I have found that it is easier to brainstorm ideas (achievements and contributions during your career) when speaking in person or on the phone, rather than via email. Often times, it is easy to overlook your own professional value, which is also a good reason to hire someone to write your resume. You need to highlight the key contributions you can make to a new employer. That is what a hiring manager wants to see.
This conversation usually takes 30 – 60 minutes.
- I write a first draft of your new resume. The first version I write is meant to give you an overall sense of the content – of what it says about you. At the end of this process, you will see the basic format of your new resume. And, of course, all of these items can be modified to your liking.
This usually takes 1-3 days, depending on your and my schedules.
- You review the content, giving me feedback on wording, details on metrics as needed, formatting and overall appearance.
This takes 1-2 days. I find that it helps to keep focused on it, especially since we are almost done!
- I write a final draft incorporating any changes we discussed, ensure the language is strong and descriptive. I tighten up the format and spacing, headers and footers and send the final draft for your review.
This takes 1-2 days.
- You review your new resume one more time. Let me know of any changes. From there, I will have an independent 3rd party review the final draft one last time. I then will send you a final up-to-date-resume.
This takes less than 1 day.
So, in about a week, you can have a shiny new resume and start focusing on finding the job you want!
Here is what some of my clients have said about my work:
“I really like the version… – Perfect” – D.J, Sunbury, OH
“It's looking great, I'm so excited!” – J.G., Columbus, OH
“THIS LOOKS GREAT” –K.M., Atlanta, GA
“Awesome, your work and help has been great.” –S.B., Toledo, OH
“IT LOOKS FANTASTIC! Thank you so much! I wouldn't change a thing!
I will recommend you to everyone I know!” –A.A., Columbus, OH
Resumes I have written usually result in my client being invited to at least one interview (though most have interviews with multiple hiring companies). From there, it is up to you!
Let me help you. Call me at 614-321-WORD or email me at Katie@ThePinkAnvil.com.
Happy Job Hunting!
PS- Though I prefer to keep to the process I have described above, I will accept rush jobs (with a turn-around measured in hours, not days) when necessary. Please let me know as much in advance as possible.